SASK Haiti Medical & Dental Team

This Saskatchewan based team of 14 members will be traveling to Grand Goave, Haiti to hold a Medical clinic.
This year we have added a dentist who will provide much needed dental care. We also will be taking along some
experienced tradesman who will help with building projects for Haiti ARISE.

We aim to teach the Haitians working along side us so that their skills will in turn serve their own people. We are
grateful to everyone who has donated finances and items of goods to help us fill our many pieces of luggage in
supplying the needs of the clinic.




Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Another Day at the Office ....in Haiti

Clinic started off with the addition of a new Haitian dentist, Dr Vava – a young dentist with 2 years experience who heard about us on the megaphone going through town announcing the upcoming clinic and came to check us out and volunteer his time.  He quickly won our hearts and his hands became busy as Dr Dennis put him to work doing the scaling. From there he did some extractions and some fillings.
Dr Dennis took on the role of assistant! 
New dental team - Dr Vava and Teresa
Then we add another dental assistant in Teresa, and her talent came through quickly as she learned her new role giving Elva a break.

We learned that the reason people say they want their teeth cleaned is because their teeth are black (from decay) and they want them cleaned! We had separate tickets sold for dental patients and things have gone very smoothly.
Early in the day there was a commotion at the gate and I found a heated debate about a little boy who had been hit in the eye and came to the clinic with his mother but didn’t have a ticket.  They were debating about not letting him in the clinic because he didn’t have a ticket!   When I saw him I immediately noticed he had a traumatic cataract in his injured eye.
Traumatic cataract left eye
We were able to make arrangements for him to have assessment in Port au Prince 
and as a team committed to pay for his necessary surgery.
When our mission was planned we did not know it was going to be during the Mardi Gras celebrations. So this is vacation time here –there is no school this week in the elementary or technical school. Stores are closed and we cannot get any diagnostic tests done until Thursday because even the hospitals take a holiday!
I am extremely impressed at how well the clinic is being run by the Haitians – they have established great guidelines for behavior and practice and we see amazing confidence and growth in the staff we worked with last year. We have 2 student nurse and a pharmacy student who are our interpreters and 2 RNs working with us.
Our two Haitian RNs with a little patient
                                                  
       Drs. Jacob and Fritz are working with us and this makes referrals so much better as they 
can make arrangements for us. 

       Dr. Braam donated an EKG machine and we got our first EKG done. He is going to spend some time with the Haitian doctors helping them to do EKGs and basic interpretation of the cardiograms.
Fr Fritz, Dr Jacob, Dr Braam
Sharon

10 comments:

  1. Sharon and team, I just wrote out a thoughtful response and the computer ate it!!! Arrrghh!!!!

    I've loved reading your blog .. and it has certainly made me miss all of you. So proud of you and thankful for the work you are doing.

    Give my love to the team ... and to the fantastic Haitian medical team. I saw how Leah organized the women to cook for the Pastor's Conference -- it's a cake walk for her to administrate the clinic.

    Stay healthy. Praying for a safe, successful and anointed time there.

    Love and prayers/Val

    PS: Howard would be sending his greetings if he knew I was commenting but he's already in bed. We're supposed to get between 3 and 7" of snow tonight. See what you're missing .... NOT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Braam! your heart is in the right place :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So moved by the commitment of the team, that the boy with the eye injury will get the help he needs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everyone!

    We are so glad that you have arrived safely and are getting settled in. What a blessing you must all be to the wonderful people in Haiti. Back home, your examples of selflessness and love are being followed. I have been inspired to help an elderly couple in their move to a nursing home, and my parents are also pitching in.

    Winter continues on in Ontario, with another little storm yesterday, and the temperatures remains at minus 15 degrees. The sun is shining though, so it's a beautiful day. I got up early to watch the sunrise and give thanks for my good life.

    I'm going to start sewing shortly; I'm making four sets of fleece sheets for the new beds that my elderly friends have bought. Every time I finish a sheet, my Siamese cat Scratch Furi has to have a nap on it. I think that he is instilling the sheets with kitty love, to make sure that good naps will be had on the sheets by those that use them! Incidentally, he did the same thing to the material that I made those two receiving blankets that I made for your mission. Maybe he is a healing cat?

    Teresa, we are all so proud of you here. On Monday, Telson and I took Mom and Dad out for anniversary dinner and a blues concert. At the restaurant, Mom was telling the waitress about your mission and how she wondered what you would be eating for dinner. They miss you and are doing well. Did you know that Mom was sitting 10 dogs last weekend? Oh my. Keeps them busy!

    Well, I'll leave room for another loving supporter to make a comment. We are sending all of our love and support to the entire team. Keep up the good work and give the patients a hug from us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Team. So proud of you all and am really missing you this year as last year imprinted heavily on me. I am so happy i was there because now I can imagine everything you are doing with all my senses, except for Teresa helping with dental surgeries, can't imagine that one...I have enjoyed keeping up with the blog and rest assure even if we don't comment a lot of us are following the whole team and your journey. Everyone is asking how Haiti is and how Teresa is, I think I'm invisible nobody asks about me lol. I tell them she is awesome in good hands well loved and doing what she is meant to do. Except for her dog. I tell him she is just ignoring him so he likes me better. The family has even renamed him Dudley so he will only answer to that when she gets home! Love you all. Mike Bell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Saskatchewan team!! You do such a great job in your blogs! I just can't get enough! Though, it's only been a month since I've been home from Haiti, my heart is there and I wish I was working alongside of you! It must seem strange not to have the children in the school yard this week! Thanks for all you do!!!
    Denise Hubert

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon, Thanks for writing. So good to 'hear' your voice. Sounds like a very exciting day. That is so awesome to have Drs. Jacob and Fritz and now the young dentist. That is just the vision for the clinic... us coming alongside and mutual learning happening. So very exciting!! Praying for good health and nightly rest for all of your team. Hugs, Amber Wiens

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For a proper dental analysis we need to go through a new dental practice which can clearly point out the new dental revolution. Be clear with your dental practice management concept.

    ReplyDelete

INSTRUCTIONS TO LEAVE A COMMENT!!!

Please comment as: Name/URL and fill your name in but leave the URL blank!

Please leave your first and last name as there are many people following this blog! Thanks.

Sorry for the inconvenience, for whatever reason you can not comment from a cell phone!